Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Cycle: Inspiration to Goals to Success...

Photo Courtesy of Grand Canyon National Park


I have experienced some pretty inspiring moments this week. 

First, I followed my Internet news as usual and came across the story of Micah True.  If you don't know who he is, I suggest you read the book Born To Run.  I'm reading it now.  I have never been so engrossed in a book before.  It is inspiring, amazing, breathtaking, and all right from living room.   I am learning a ton about running and the running community, especially the Ultras.  The Taramurara are now an obsession.   And I am learning many things from Micah True's legacy as well.

The husband and I went to Dallas for our annual conference.  On our third day in downtown, we were ushered into one of the hotel ballrooms to watch, on the local news' traffic camera, a twister ripping through the city.  It was scary to say the least.  But I was inspired at how powerful, and simultaneously beautiful nature can be.  No one was killed and few were hurt during that storm outbreak, so praise God.

Last, but certainly not least, I finally caught a flight out of Dallas and met a wonderful woman.  Her name was Harriet.  She was very friendly and quiet, and in her seventies.  Now get ready for this.  She was on her way to Springer Mountain.  Yes, that Springer Mountain The Southern Terminus to the Appalachian Trail.  And she was hiking the entire thing over the next 30 days.  Alone.

That takes some balls.  And she had them.  I suddenly wanted them, too.

So.  I came home, continued reading my book and came up with a plan.  I am a very goal oriented person.  I like to compete against myself.  I do not like to leave projects unfinished.  So with the help of three of my trainer friends (hopefully they say "yes"), I will run rim to rim of the Grand Canyon.  I want to do it in three years.  Its about a 42-48 mile run through the canyon.  I am crazy.  But I am totally looking forward to it. 

Thank you Micah True and Harriet, and most of all, God, for being the inspiration I needed to kick my running up a notch.  I hope I can do it.

Happy Running!

Mallorie

RIP Micah True.  You've left an incredible legacy...

No comments:

Post a Comment